Recently BIinAction.com and ebizq.com organized a webinar on Business Intelligence (BI), which was conducted by Boris Evelson of Forrester Research. The webinar: Current State of the Business Intelligence Market gave a very good overview on BI space covering the following: Definition of BI, Solution components of BI, Market players, and the future trends. It is a very good resource for beginners as well as experts on BI.
Here are the key takeaways:
1. BI stack consists of 50+ solution components grouped under 8 layers / areas – Data, Discovery Integration, Analytics, Metrics Management, Presentation, Supporting Apps, Others, and PSO.Out of these first 6 are technology areas, while the other 2 are non technology areas – delivery framework (others) and professional service offering (PSO) related to BI.
2. Obviously no vendor provides one single platform addressing all BI solution areas, however, SAS and Business Objects offer the most compressive BI solution.
3. BI solutions are maturing to include the following:
– process both structured and unstructured data
– integration of data and process
– visual analysis
4. Key recommendations:
– Data governance is critical to BI
– Take baby steps
– Plan for explosive data growth
5. Expect consolidation in the BI market. Pure-play vendors will vanish and Big 4 of software industry – Microsoft, IBM, Oracle and SAP – will be the major players.